Kahr Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On a different post, I mentioned that today while fireing my PM9, the mag would repeatedly drop out. I found that the way I was gripping the gun, my thumb was resting on the release button. After rearranging my grip, the problem went away, but now my grip is very uncomfortable. After I got home I did some experimenting and found that the slightest pressure on the release button will drop the magazine. Does anyone know if it's possible for a good gunsmith to replace the release spring to a stiffer one? I suppose my other option is to send it in to Kahr, but I don't want to do that because I fear it'll be gone for a few weeks. Any suggestions out there?

Jack

·
Registered
371 Posts
jfwandrn said:
On a different post, I mentioned that today while fireing my PM9, the mag would repeatedly drop out. I found that the way I was gripping the gun, my thumb was resting on the release button. After rearranging my grip, the problem went away, but now my grip is very uncomfortable. After I got home I did some experimenting and found that the slightest pressure on the release button will drop the magazine. Does anyone know if it's possible for a good gunsmith to replace the release spring to a stiffer one? I suppose my other option is to send it in to Kahr, but I don't want to do that because I fear it'll be gone for a few weeks. Any suggestions out there?

Jack
callkahr, I think they have started to put in a stronger mag release spring. It is a no brainer to replace that spring . callthem first, see what they advise. Is this gun new, or how old is it. Does ithave the metal mag release?/

Mine is very stout and has never popped out and I pocket carry it in tight jeans on a motorcycle 24/7. You have a bad/weak magazine spring but also ask kahr to send u a new mag release also. the combinationof new spring and release willsolve your probolem. Allyou need is a set of lone nose bent tipped pliers. or a local smitty can do it also, but my bet istha tyou know more about your kahr than most smitty's do.

PM also sent

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jocko, thanks for the advice. I just got off the phone with Kahr customer service. They're very helpful and interested in solving a person's problem. Anyway, I explained my mag release problem and based on my serial # (VA1xxx) he was sure I had a polymer release. He said he'd send me a new one and a new spring. He didn't feel I'd need the spring but said he'd send it anyway. Then he gave me walk through instructions on how to change it. He also asked me if I'd had any problems shooting Speer Gold Dot. I said I couldn't find any. He told me to try it and if I had a problem, to send in the barrel and they'd either polish it or replace it. He said there's a recall on some early PM9s that were having a problem with Gold Dot ammo. (He stressed, only Gold Dot) Now all I've got to do is find some Gold Dot. Again, very helpful and much appreciated.

Jack

·
Registered
371 Posts
jfwandrn said:
Jocko, thanks for the advice. I just got off the phone with Kahr customer service. They're very helpful and interested in solving a person's problem. Anyway, I explained my mag release problem and based on my serial # (VA1xxx) he was sure I had a polymer release. He said he'd send me a new one and a new spring. He didn't feel I'd need the spring but said he'd send it anyway. Then he gave me walk through instructions on how to change it. He also asked me if I'd had any problems shooting Speer Gold Dot. I said I couldn't find any. He told me to try it and if I had a problem, to send in the barrel and they'd either polish it or replace it. He said there's a recall on some early PM9s that were having a problem with Gold Dot ammo. (He stressed, only Gold Dot) Now all I've got to do is find some Gold Dot. Again, very helpful and much appreciated.

Jack
If your not shooting gold dots, then why even worry about it. I shootgold dots out of my PM( but it is a newer version . You can polish the feed ramp yourself. I would highly recommend you do it anyhow and also inside the chamber if you can find access to a dremel and a polishing cotton cone and some flitz or polishing compound... glad kahr took care of you. By the way your kahr is vintage oct 2002, so defiitely it has the polymer release in it. replace both spring and release though, as the spring will have to come out anyhow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Jocko for all your help. The guy at Kahr said to get a dental pick and pull the spring to one side and the release will just fall out. The new one will just snap right in. He said it was unlikely the spring needed replaceing. In fact, he wasn't going to send a spring until I asked him to. Just in case I needed it.

Jack

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Received the replacement spring and mag release today. With the aid of a dental pick, it took about 5 minutes to change out the mag release. I didn't change the spring. The old and new mag release look the same, but the new one definitely holds the mag tighter. I think my problem of the mag falling out has been solved.

Thanks to Kahr for excellent and speedy customer service.

Jack

·
Registered
30 Posts
Glad you got it fixed! The PM9 is still my favorite Kahr pistol. I cant really answer why, but It was my first, so I think that has a lot to do with it=)

·
Registered
371 Posts
jfwandrn said:
Received the replacement spring and mag release today. With the aid of a dental pick, it took about 5 minutes to change out the mag release. I didn't change the spring. The old and new mag release look the same, but the new one definitely holds the mag tighter. I think my problem of the mag falling out has been solved.

Thanks to Kahr for excellent and speedy customer service.

Jack
were they both metal release or was they polymer releases with the metal insert, or what. Good news though, let us know hwo it works out for you.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jocko

I don't have a magnet handy, but the old one feels plastic. It was worn down right where it engaged the mag. I'm pretty sure it was polymer. The new one definitely has a stronger grip on the magazine. Thanks again ford the good advice on contacting Kahr.

Jack

·
Registered
1 Posts
magazine release problem

Jack
It is easy to change the magazine catch. First take out the magazine, take the pistol apart. Then get a dental pick or some tool with thin crooked tip. look into the handle and you will see that magazine catch has round spring holding it in place. take the pick and place it under the spring and gently pull away from the magazine catch. then slide the catch from left to right. it will come right out. finally take a long nose prier and pull the spring put, go backward to replace the catch. good luck

·
Registered
67 Posts
The mag release has always been a problem with Kahrs. We're so hung up on fast magazine changes when we should be more like the Europeans and try to hang on the one we have. I have changed the release and the release spring in mine, shortened the release button and still I found my mag released about 1/4" several months ago. I don't even carry a spare mag all the time. If I could I would trade the release for a heal clip.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts