Kahr Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same grip for my CM45. I love the grip but does anyone else have trouble with it walking up the grip as you shoot. I find that I have to readjust it back down after a few mags have been fired. I have removed it and cleaned both the inside of the sleeve and the pistol grip with alcohol to remove any oil residue. Any suggestions???

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
I have the same grip for my CM45. I love the grip but does anyone else have trouble with it walking up the grip as you shoot. I find that I have to readjust it back down after a few mags have been fired. I have removed it and cleaned both the inside of the sleeve and the pistol grip with alcohol to remove any oil residue. Any suggestions???
I never found one of that type that would stay put! I now use the lumpy vinyl stair step tape and cut to fit, have a whole roll that will last my lifetime. I tried the stuff with grit like sandpaper but, it tears up clothing and skin when carrying!

My CW40 has had the same set on it for 3 years and still good. I made a pattern and have it saved for when I need replacements, no muss no fuss!

·
Registered
341 Posts

The Kahr checkers was killing my hand on recoil, so I went off looking for a fix & found this one. I have a standard size of the same Hogue grip, but it is way too loose on the P45 to be usable for me. If I twist it real hard it will move, but I take advantage of that to put the palm lump & finger thingie where I want it to improve the instinct point of aim. Back in the "old days" I had a beautiful set of custom shaped Zebra Wood grips made for my six shooter that improved absolutely everything about drawing and using that old girl. But that was business & I did not mind spending the cash. naturally all of our hands are different, which is why Lefty makes his own :wink:

Maybe it was because I heated the crap out of it to install and it shrunk back tight when it cooled off?? At $8.00 delivered you could afford to lock it down with some automotive weather strip adhesive or silicone gasket maker, then cut it off later if something goes wrong.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
The Kahr checkers was killing my hand on recoil, so I went off looking for a fix & found this one. I have a standard size of the same Hogue grip, but it is way too loose on the P45 to be usable for me. If I twist it real hard it will move, but I take advantage of that to put the palm lump & finger thingie where I want it to improve the instinct point of aim. Back in the "old days" I had a beautiful set of custom shaped Zebra Wood grips made for my six shooter that improved absolutely everything about drawing and using that old girl. But that was business & I did not mind spending the cash. naturally all of our hands are different, which is why Lefty makes his own :wink:

Maybe it was because I heated the crap out of it to install and it shrunk back tight when it cooled off?? At $8.00 delivered you could afford to lock it down with some automotive weather strip adhesive or silicone gasket maker, then cut it off later if something goes wrong.
Well done! Thinking outside the box gets the job done! You may well have stumbled onto the proper way to install those slip on grips. I didn't like the glue idea 'cause I would hate to clean up the mess in the "cheese graters" if I didn't like it! :indecisiveness:

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have installed Talon Rubberized Grips on all my polymer hand gun grips except for one pistol where I have installed their Granular Grip. I have never had a problem with Talon Products and I've used them for years. You might want to give them a try.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think this thread has turned into a slip on grip thread but I will post about the original problem. My P9 was my 2nd Kahr, the first being a K40 that was passed along. I loved the feel of this light polymer 9 and really wanted it to work but it didn't look like it would for a long time. I would get jams with the empty case caught in the slide against the breach several times in each magazine. Not a stovepipe but long ways and facing forward. I did notice a lot of wear marks on the chamber block each time I shot it also. I felt like the chamber block (or slide) was a few thousands too tight and was rubbing too much trying to unlock and relock each time slowing the slide speed down. I know, never use a Dremel on a gun but I did. Starting with a tube of Flitz and a new buffer bit I started polishing the outside of the block and working the slide back and forth and shooting it too, until I could fire it without the wear marks showing up. Long story, short it did fix my problems with that P9. Since 2002 that gun has perked along smoothly for 14 years now. I know it's a 9 and not a .45 but it could be the same "tolerance" issue on both.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I too, P45 since day one, so stiff I had to almost destroy a round to get it out. I just figured it was new and needed a couple hundred rounds to break it in. It fired the first magazine of 185 grain fine. Slide stiffness still an issue. (put away literally for a couple years) Took it out today to finally get at least a hundred rounds through her, and 12 rounds later, the spring failed and gun out of commission. Didn't even get to operating temp. Field stripped and spring had slipped, got it back together, and waiting to get to range to see how long it takes to fail again. Research landed me right onto this forum and wanted to say, you're not alone, and my P45 mirrors same problems. This was my primary carry till it failed on me with less than 50 rounds though her. I believe Kahr just purchased Magnum Research here in Daytona. I guess I'm gonna have to go through the process and nightmare described above too. Will let you know.

·
Registered
56 Posts
My KP45 was like this also, it's the magazines, load your magazines up all the way and let them stay that way for a couple weeks, then when shooting your gun for a while anyway, load your magazines up one less and do this for your first 200 rounds then try fully loaded mags, this should straiten out in a short time, if it doesn't send your magazines back to Kahr for replacements, I had to do this with the 7 round mags, and decided to use the 6 round mags only, my gun just didn't like that extra round in their 7 round mag.even the replacements had to be sent back, to me it's better to have 6 rounds I can depend on than 7 that I have to wonder about, hope this helps..

·
Registered
2 Posts
Okay, final update.

ALL IS WELL NOW! I did receive the Kahr P45 back. I do know, as did the company, that something was wrong the first time, but it appears that I am partially to blame. While I have 3 decades of pistol shooting, teaching, and competition experience, this pistol has such a sharp "bark" and short slide stroke, that unless I really squeeze super tight, it will malfunction. (I have larger hands and rather long fingers, making it harder to hold.). One thing I am going to do is buy some extras springs and experiment too see if I can improve reliability without squeezing so hard.

As I mentioned to the Head of Customer service (whom I apologized too) I wanted a compact 45 which is exactly what I got. It might be too small!

But I felt it only fair to come back here and state the result. I do now think that they were buried with work, which is why it took so long, plus, I received a couple of freebies on the way back. Nice touch!

I now see that Kahr is relocating across the border from NY to PA. This may slow things down a bit, but I wish them all the best.

KYCCDWINST, signing off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My experience with Kahr has been swell. I bought a P380,called them from the range and told them how much it hurt to shoot it and how accurate and reliable it was. I just love this pistol. I had quite a talk w them,maybe two yrs back. Not as stacked up then,I guess.
They were honest,polite,direct,helpful and informative. I cant wait for their move to PA.
I dont want to support MA in any way. Delighted they are on their way here.
Glad they came to an accord with you.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts