Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchase a CW45 and failed to load the first round. Reading that they are tight, tried to load several rounds, none of which where successful. Removing the magazine and trying to remove the cartridge was very trying to say the less, that's how tight the camber was. I read somewhere that the first thing to due with a Kahr is send it back to the factory and tell them that it is broking. So my advice to anyone buying a Kahr, figure in the price of gun, shipping it back next day air which is required by UPS and the return shipping as part of the cost of the CW45 When this is done, other alternatives for a CCW become available. I had a gunsmith ream the chamber for $30 instead of spend the $100 plus to send it back to Kahr. There is no excuse for this type of quality control. Now I have spend extra monies for ammo to make sure that it is a CCW, or maybe just sell it. Meanwhile I will continue to carry my SR1911 which is bigger and heavier but worked out of the box. I guess that the difference between West and East Coast mentality or craftsmanship and just make money.
I know there are a lot of good reports and I personally like the feel, accuracy and the way it shoots. I just wish I had high praise for it and better yet trusted it.

Bill

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
Sorry you got a bad one, but if you go to any manufacturers forums .....

Howdy!!! I think you'll like it if you give it a chance.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Is it new or used and what have you decided to do with it? I'm sure it's maddening to not have it work right off the bat but if you stick with it and work with forum member suggestions after asking and explaining what the problem is and then if need be call Kahr you get working and like as we do ours.

bob

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Reread you post and you said it would cost $100 to send to Kahr? I'm surprised as all I've ever heard was they would pay for your mailing. Did you have the barrel machined before or after talking to Kahr? Don't understand your machining operation. You machined what please?

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
They reamed the chamber bigger. I had problem with my officer going into battery from a bur in the bottom of its chamber. Before I polished it out, I was thinking about ordering a new barrel. Wouldn't have been much more than postage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As I originally said the gunsmith reamed the camber, make it bigger so the cartridge could enter it.
It is illegal for an individual without a FFL to mail a handgun via USPS. Long guns OK to mail to FFL.
As far as I know UPS is the only one to ship handguns (Fedex did not last time I tried to send one) and the require next air morning delivery. Which from Oregon to Mass. is $75. Kahr wanted $25 for return mail, and Kahr wanted the whole gun not just the barrel which could have been mailed.

The gun is New and the ammunition was Remington 230 gr. JHP.
Just loaded 50 rounds of 185 gr. Speer Gold Dot JHP with my Hornady Lock-N-Load w/bullet feeder. Racked all 50 rounds without a problem, so off to the range tomorrow. Let you know what happens.
I do like the gun very much. It will be a dream to carry after the SR1911 so hopes it works.
Any opinions out there on 7 round magazines versus 6?

Bill

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
Doesn't a 7 round officers mag fit flush with the grip?
I've really been craving the new cm45....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I read a thread on Kahrtalk, that says the officer will with modifications. Kahr sell a 7 round mag with extension, but I read somewhere that the fit is bad. Just wonder if anyone has used them.
Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi. wbatie is not alone. Apparently Kahr had a worn chamber reamer at some point, a lot of CW45 have an undersize chamber step (where the case mouth headspaces in the chamber). Many are 0.467" or so. You need ammo with 0.467" or smaller crimp to chamber fully. Since most commercial ammo (and most handloads) are .469 to .471 inches at case mouth, it won't fit those undersize CW45 chambers. wbatie did what was necessary, touch it up with chamber reamer. Unfortunately the manufacturer should be offering that service at no cost the new purchaser.

My CW45 is the same, I just don't have time to send it back yet. Right now I'm recrimping my ammo to .467" and it works. Unfortunate that we must do that.

RE: Returning to Kahr. My local dealers do that as a service. They send warranty work back to manufacturers through their wholesaler network. Shipping costs nothing. I can't say if your local dealers do that, could be I've got the perfect angels of the whole lot. :)

Mag modification: It's incredibly easy, if you start with the right 1911 Officer magazine. Chip McCormick works best for me, but others are successful with Wilson Combat. The value of using the 1911 Officer mag with welded base plate, it tucks right up flush with the bottom of the CW45 grip frame and makes the gun even MORE comfortable to carry. Two caveats: You might need to bend the 'shelf' up higher on the follower (shelf is the part that contacts the slide stop to lock the slide open after last round). 1911 shelf is a bit low for the CW45. And secondly, the cutout at the back of the magazine up at the top needs to be as deep as the cutout on the OEM Kahr mag. Most 1911 magazines have a square cutout, no problem as long as it is as deep as the semi-circular Kahr. If you get a chance to compare the two side by side, the light will go on and you'll see.

N

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
So, short of measuring the I.D. of the chamber, which most haven't the means, is the only other way to find if the problem exists is to shoot the gun? Maybe they have announced the serial numbers that are suspect? I just bought a CW45 and have not fired it yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cw45

Hi. wbatie is not alone. Apparently Kahr had a worn chamber reamer at some point, a lot of CW45 have an undersize chamber step (where the case mouth headspaces in the chamber). Many are 0.467" or so. You need ammo with 0.467" or smaller crimp to chamber fully. Since most commercial ammo (and most handloads) are .469 to .471 inches at case mouth, it won't fit those undersize CW45 chambers. wbatie did what was necessary, touch it up with chamber reamer. Unfortunately the manufacturer should be offering that service at no cost the new purchaser.

My CW45 is the same, I just don't have time to send it back yet. Right now I'm recrimping my ammo to .467" and it works. Unfortunate that we must do that.

RE: Returning to Kahr. My local dealers do that as a service. They send warranty work back to manufacturers through their wholesaler network. Shipping costs nothing. I can't say if your local dealers do that, could be I've got the perfect angels of the whole lot. :)

Mag modification: It's incredibly easy, if you start with the right 1911 Officer magazine. Chip McCormick works best for me, but others are successful with Wilson Combat. The value of using the 1911 Officer mag with welded base plate, it tucks right up flush with the bottom of the CW45 grip frame and makes the gun even MORE comfortable to carry. Two caveats: You might need to bend the 'shelf' up higher on the follower (shelf is the part that contacts the slide stop to lock the slide open after last round). 1911 shelf is a bit low for the CW45. And secondly, the cutout at the back of the magazine up at the top needs to be as deep as the cutout on the OEM Kahr mag. Most 1911 magazines have a square cutout, no problem as long as it is as deep as the semi-circular Kahr. If you get a chance to compare the two side by side, the light will go on and you'll see.

N
Thanks Nick. I thought I was alone. Purchased mine at Sportsman Warehouse who told be all sale final and I would have to deal with Kahr. After reaming the gun works flawlessly. Put over 300 rounds including reloads. Although is has sligtly higher recoil then my Ruger SR1911 it shoots just as great and at 10 yards maybe even better. Now EDC. It stuff like this that make Kahr a back set manufacture. The CW45 is a great produce, and all that Kahr has to do is what Ruger does include a fired cartridge. If they did this they could be number one.

Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I my case it would not even camber a cartridge repeatable. That's where I would start. Use reloads if you have them.

Bill

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
So, short of measuring the I.D. of the chamber, which most haven't the means, is the only other way to find if the problem exists is to shoot the gun? Maybe they have announced the serial numbers that are suspect? I just bought a CW45 and have not fired it yet.
Pull your barrel and drop a loaded round into the chamber, it should drop freely to the bottom and set slightly shorter than the barrel hood.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Isn't that what they call a plunk test...............

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Yep. Plunk Test. Loaded cartridge should drop in and drop out.

xsailer Bob - do that plunk test now. Otherwise you'll waste gas driving to the range if it won't chamber.[/QUOTE/]
Good deal..............give it a try there bob...........

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Yes and thanks for the answer. Such as simple answer I didn't think of it. I can drop the bullet in and it stops with the end of case exactly at the end of the barrel as shown. I don't see whats keeping from going all the way in if it does indeed do that. I tried pushing it in further pretty hard with my thumb. No go. Is this suppose be as far as it goes in??

DSC_0075.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
The fwd end of the case is stopped by the edge of the reamed I.D. of the barrel.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts