Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm just compelled to share my "new Kahr experience" as I've always been interested in owning one but been putting it off due the mixed feedback. Considering the price, I just didn't want to take a chance. This all changed a couple weeks ago while having dinner w/ friends... to make the long story short, a lady friend bought a P40 at a gun show and later found out she had a hard time racking the slide, fired 2 rounds at the range and did not like the recoil then decided this was not the gun for her. She told me she got it for $700+ and was willing to give it to me for $350. I did not even think twice... the next morning I picked it up and went straight to the range. I visually inspected the gun and it was practically brand new... still had the sticky residue what seemed like dried grease. Knowing that Kahr requires at least 200 rounds break in, I brought exactly that much ammo... 100 rds Remington 165gr FMJ, 50 rds American Eagle 180gr FMJ and 50 rds WWB 165gr FMJ. The P4044 came with two mags. The first mag I tried was having issues... it either would drop the mag or fail to put the round in battery. Kept my fingers crossed and tried the second mag; everything went well except occasionally the slide won't lock back on the last round. I couldn't figure out what it was, but something did not feel right so I decided to quit after 50 rds. I did a quick field strip and found out not only was it bone-dry, it had that sticky film all over. Did a quick cleaning/lubricating using some frog lube and decided to strip the mags. The mag that was giving me problems had the spring backwards (the end loop did not follow the contour of the follower). I also noticed that the mag spring also had that sticky stuff. I went ahead and wiped the whole mag assembly down with a frog lube, just enough to remove the sticky residue... did the same thing with the other mag. Went back to the range... finished the 200rd break-in without a hitch! Since then I've put in 200 more rounds of various brands of FMJ, 100 rds HP and 25rds +P, all without a single problem. This is my first Kahr and its quickly becoming my favorite.

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new kahr........they do like to run clean and well lubed........I know you got to love that smooth trigger. I have been using frog lube for the last few months and like it a lot....... you got a great deal on the gun, enjoy it !!!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Welcome ! Enjoy what sounds like a great deal!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Hello and Welcome DTI. I think you did indeed get a good deal. Do you know if she has an MK9 she wants to get rid of for $350, or less?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ron54, definitely one of the best DA trigger I've felt... Adapted to it right away on my first trouble free mag.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys! 100 more flawless rounds should get me proficient enough and confident to have this as my EDC.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Congrats to a new Kahr fan from another new Kahr owner, a CM 9. Sp far I have put 100 rounds thru it and plan to get another 100 this weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts