Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I just purchased my first Kahr and wanted share some experiences with the CW380 that may help folks. I picked it up at a gun show for $319, cleaned it that night and hit the range the next day.

My first time at the range was awful as just about every round FTE. :mad-new: I was using Fiocchi 95G FMJ. After reading forums and the Kahr FAQ, a couple of issues stood out:

• I wasn't chambering with the slide release.
  • Others have reported problems with Fiocchi 95G FMJ and the CW380

As stated in Questions & Answers, it's best to use the slide release lever, which I wasn't doing on my first range trip. A little experimentation easily confirmed that any amount of riding the slide resulted in the cartridge coming out of the magazine at such an angle that the rim wedges under the lower edge of the extractor, preventing chambering.

Material property Cable Gadget Wire Composite material

Next, I removed the slide and barrel from it. With 4 types of ammo, I slid the cartridge rim under the extractor. While the clearance is tight in all cases, of the 4 ammos I tried, the Fiocchi was the most difficult to slide under the extractor.

In the photo below, from bottom to top (Barnes, Fiocchi, Winchester, Tula).
Cosmetics Wood Bullet Gas Cylinder

Clearly the cartridge rim of the Fiocchi is higher than the Barnes and Winchester. The Tula also looks pretty thick.

So, I go back to the range with the theory and hope that something other than Fiocchi and chambering via slide release will fix my problems. The winchester white box and barnes worked flawlessly. The tula had a couple of FTEs out of ~30. The Fiocchi was still problematic with at least 2 out of 6 FTEs. While bad, 2 out of 6 FTEs is till better than 1:1, which was the case when I manually released the slide. FWIW, I do try to "grip and rip" the slide, but with the CW380 it appears the slide release does a better job than my hands.

After that first day at the range, I came straight home and requested an RMA on the Kahr website. I'm glad to say I've been able to cancel it.:getdown:

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Welcome to the forum Vadtom. Glad to see your new puchase seems to be working out for you. I love my CM9.:tickled_pink:

·
Super Moderator
23,652 Posts
Welcome.........,.and glad you looked up some info that helped you out..........usually once broken Kahrs are sweet shooters..........but the little 380's can be ammo sensitive.........so when you find what it likes, it's best to stick with it !!

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Hello Vadtom and welcome to the Forum. A nice write up and analysis of your problem. I will use your findings on my P380.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Welcome! Waves hello from the Oregon coast..:thumbsu:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Put some grease on the rails. Suppose to be awful first day. Mine spit an sputtered three or four days, then started huntin. Shoot it alot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the grease advice. Prior to my 2nd range trip, I did lube the heck out of it with regular oil and cycled the slide at least 100 cycles while watching TV. That prolly helped too.

·
Super Moderator
23,652 Posts
Thanks for the grease advice. Prior to my 2nd range trip, I did lube the heck out of it with regular oil and cycled the slide at least 100 cycles while watching TV. That prolly helped too.
Yeah that definitely helps loosen her up a bit........

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Welcome! Don't worry lots'a other brands also have guns that are ammo sensitive. Sounds like you found the cure already. Shoot the heck out'a it. Enjoy.:getdown:

·
Super Moderator
23,652 Posts
Welcome! Don't worry lots'a other brands also have guns that are ammo sensitive. Sounds like you found the cure already. Shoot the heck out'a it. Enjoy.:getdown:
Kimber states the specific ammo to run in their solo to ensure its reliable..............and I've seen that there are sometimes still issues...................anyway just an example I thought of !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While corresponding with Kahr CS, I mentioned the problems with the Fiocchi FMJ 95G. The Kahr response was " I cannot say whether or not Fiocchi has been a difficult ammunition."
Kimber states the specific ammo to run in their solo to ensure its reliable..............and I've seen that there are sometimes still issues...................anyway just an example I thought of !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Came new to the forum, the Fiocchi works not well, it is not fitting. My new P 380 works jamless with Remington 95 grs., and I think too with MagTech, and I am sure with Winchester and Federal and and and ....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.