Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well obviously im new, now I have been offered a kahr p-380 it would be my first gun, I do know gun rules not so much about laws but I will be learning. I just have a few questions about these guns.

like how would I check if the gun is stolen?
how do I know which ammo is best for this gun?
how do I lube and clean this gun, how often should maintenance be performed on it?

that's pretty much it for now so if you guys could help me out that would be great or direct me to any threads on the question would be helpful to. thanks guys.

·
Registered
323 Posts
1)Go take concealed class. Later date you can buy your permit. (class here is 50$bucks, then later i gave sheriff 90$ bucks for permit and had to wait 22 days for it.)
2)youtube can show u how to field strip with kahrs videos and other youtube videos.
3)read alot
4)Go to kahrs website. Keep in your favorite places.
5)you do have gun ranges near?
6)maybe some of your friends are veteran pistol shooter's?
7)get a can of spray "rem-oil" @ walmart for lubing p-380. (it has the lil' red extention in tip.
8)collect ammo then collect some more. Then split an order with friend from midwayusa.com
9) save all your brass (pick it up) i will buy it.
10) clean your pistol with alcohol using old t-shirt cut up and a few q-tips. Blow out with air compressor.
11) use a magnifier when your p-380 is field stripped to examine wear and get familiar.
12) get a carry bag to keep your pistol in with your ammo and supplies, tools, cleaning stuff oil.. when you go to range.
13) clean you p-380 often, you will get familiar.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Timonedog,
I was in your shoes little more than a year ago. Only difference was had owned a few rifles and six shooters but really didn't know a lot about pistols and hadn't shoot for years and years. I pretty much did as kahrhauler before I got my new one. I read all the posts I could read before it was delivered and boy am I glad. There is awful lot to learn if you're going to do it right especially if your going to CC. One thing I had to learn were the abbreviations used by these strange people. This will help. Just scroll down and open Abbreviations.

http://www.kahrforum.com/forums/kahr-talk/1178-weapons-abbreviation-terminology-definitions.html

We try to have fun here and learn. Sometimes get carried away but it's all well intended

I hope to see your comments and again welcome.

bob

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Welcome Timonedog, I have a cm9 Kahr which is my first pistol as well. I have had a shotgun for years so I am still absorbing what information I can about my Kahr. You found a good place!:smile:

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Welcome timeonedog.....congrats on a fine gun you got there......Kahrhauler has covered a lot of ground already.........all great advice..........follow it........especially the part about using you tube, kahr website, lots of great info to be found. And if you can take a class that's the way to go for a beginner, or if you can find a friend or someone that can be your mentor for a while to get you started off right, do so. And mostly be safe and have fun.......yes fun owning and shooting guns is serious business but fun also.........read up thru lots of posts here are loaded with good info........and don't be afraid to ask questions, we are glad to help .......

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Welcome to the forum. As far as finding out if the gun is stolen call your local PD or Sheriff and ask them to run the gun in DOJ/NCIC for wants or reports of being stolen. Even tho the gun may not be stolen it maybe tied to a crime and you don't need any of that. If you have to give it up its better than doing time for co-conspiracy or withholding evidence in a crime. There is usally no fee for running weapons.:police:

Reactions: John70

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, I have shot a few pistols and shotguns myself but never owned and cleaned one. I have done research on this firearm and it seems to be one of the better built .380s. Simple to strip and a dream to shoot. I am located in California and have realized our gun laws are pretty strict, I will not be carrying this weapon at all it will stay in one place and shot for fun occasionally. I am only 20yrs old and I don't intend on being one of the many adolescent kids getting arrested for carrying a gun to the movies or house parties. I have a lot of respect for firearms and the people who possess them. That being said, I appreciate your kindness and willingness to help me when need be. I look forward to reading up and learning about firearms in general. Again, thank you.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Thanks guys, I have shot a few pistols and shotguns myself but never owned and cleaned one. I have done research on this firearm and it seems to be one of the better built .380s. Simple to strip and a dream to shoot. I am located in California and have realized our gun laws are pretty strict, I will not be carrying this weapon at all it will stay in one place and shot for fun occasionally. I am only 20yrs old and I don't intend on being one of the many adolescent kids getting arrested for carrying a gun to the movies or house parties. I have a lot of respect for firearms and the people who possess them. That being said, I appreciate your kindness and willingness to help me when need be. I look forward to reading up and learning about firearms in general. Again, thank you.
Smart man! I just retired from L/E in Kalifornia and know exactly how strict their gun laws are. (one reason I don't live there anymore):numbness:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I got some ammo from the local gun shop, put about 13 rounds through her and no issues at all I think the gun Is pretty well broken in before hand. I looked up the disassembly of the gun and found a few vids on YouTube. I followed the procedure and when trying to remove the slide it would not come off. I used a little force but was not successful at it coming off. Any tips or tricks? I pulled the trigger while pulling on it and nothing. It seems like its getting caught up on something. Also before i took the slide lock out, when the magazine was out it would cock back and the slide would lock but not anymore unless the magazine is in the well. I think this maybe because the spring is not set on the lip of the slide lock.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I would have done exactly as you did if I had to constantly live with my state government in control of my life. If I lived in NY I would quit my job and leave that place no question. Who the hell do these bureaucratic twits think they are that they think they control anything they want to. No 32oz pop for cry'n out loud....Good bye Liberal jerks.

Reactions: Ratfink

·
Super Moderator
23,388 Posts
Bob your good.......got your guns, got your Jamesons.......what else you need......

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
Congrats when you pulled the trigger did it dryfire? If the trigger is not catching, try aligning the slide flush with the frame and try dryfiring again.

I think its best to pop.the pin loose but only pull it far enough for the slide to return to battery, dryfire then remove the pin and the slide should come right off.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Sorry for the rant but I see how controlled others are and I see red. You are right in that I don't have to put up with it.............yet! It still incenses me.

Reactions: Ratfink

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Ok so I got some ammo from the local gun shop, put about 13 rounds through her and no issues at all I think the gun Is pretty well broken in before hand. I looked up the disassembly of the gun and found a few vids on YouTube. I followed the procedure and when trying to remove the slide it would not come off. I used a little force but was not successful at it coming off. Any tips or tricks? I pulled the trigger while pulling on it and nothing. It seems like its getting caught up on something. Also before i took the slide lock out, when the magazine was out it would cock back and the slide would lock but not anymore unless the magazine is in the well. I think this maybe because the spring is not set on the lip of the slide lock.
Not being a Kahr 380 owner I can only guess because most 380's are precarious little creatures.
Double check that the spring is seated in the guide rod slot properly. Most 380's slides go all the way back and lift up over the rails to separate the slide form the frame. Ensure your slide lock pin is properly aligned in the slide. It will, in some frames, go in without being properly aligned. 1911's for example will allow the pin to go in but not be locked in the rod.
Hope this helps....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats when you pulled the trigger did it dryfire? If the trigger is not catching, try aligning the slide flush with the frame and try dryfiring again.

I think its best to pop.the pin loose but only pull it far enough for the slide to return to battery, dryfire then remove the pin and the slide should come right off.
No it didn't dry fire. In fact I don't think it cocked the fireing pin at all. Reason being is I didn't have the magazine inserted if that matters. But I will attempt again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

It's weird it used to dry fire with the magazine out befor I removed the slide lock but it won't cock or dry fire with it out now only with it in. Now I tried to remove it with the magazine in and it comes off further then before but not all the way. Ok sorry I got it to come off now by removing the magazine.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Timonedog, on my cm9 I pull the trigger and hold it back while removing the slide. Sometimes I have to jiggle it a bit to get it to slide off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yea I got the slide to come off now by cocking it with the magazine in pulling the trigger and it slides halfway off then remove the magazine and it slides all the way off. Now I just need to get that spring back on the slide lock which is kind of difficult.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Yea I got the slide to come off now by cocking it with the magazine in pulling the trigger and it slides halfway off then remove the magazine and it slides all the way off. Now I just need to get that spring back on the slide lock which is kind of difficult.
Persevere!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts