Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would bet most of us(maybe some of us) do odd little things concerning our guns. For sometime now I been locking the slide back and injecting the round in the chamber by hand. I push the round all the way in the chamber BTW. Of course the correct instructed way is to slide in magazine and rack a round in the chamber then remove the magazine and top it off with a final round. Reason I don't do it the approved way is it's a heck of lot harder to do.
All right....time to jump me and set me straight.:bull_head: I hope I'm not the only one that doesn't follow accepted and approved methods.:encouragement:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
me too bob...now I never taught that at the range at the academy tho..lol:angel:

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
" I never release the slide without a round being loaded."
You don't do this because of the hard seating action when the slide seats I assume?

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
They say on a 1911 it can mess up a fine trigger job.
The slide does hit home a lot harder without pushing a round.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
They say on a 1911 it can mess up a fine trigger job.
The slide does hit home a lot harder without pushing a round.
Yeah it's a no no to just let the slide slam home without a round or snap cap being chambered in a 1911. It's to hard and jarring on the mechanism and if done to excess can cause damage !!!
Thats why when releasing the slide without a round to chamber it's necessary to use your other hand to ride the slide home.

Reactions: feedramp

·
Registered
509 Posts
With the slide locked back, I put in a full magazine and release the slide lock. The slide goes forward loading a round in the chamber. I remove the magazine and top it off with another round. That's what I do. Why? Because I've always done it that way. Yep, my reason may be weak, but it's all I've got on which to lean.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
That's how I have always done it........just because I have !

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
all I can say is "quitters"! lol:fat:

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like I said, I started injecting the rd. by hand with slide locked back to help with bruised fingers topping off the mag. If it doesn't hurt anything I'll probably continue what I've been doing.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
I think your fine as the slide isn't slamming home on an empty chamber...

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
With controlled feeding the extractor isn't really intended to slip over the rim, dropping the slide on a round could break the tip off.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Actually that's a good point, hadn't considered that.......

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
With my Kahr I load from slide lock, with my 1911's I will slingshot the 1st round in, then load when empty mag locks the slide back.....

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
Also it dings the rim on the brass pretty good, reloading they can be tweaked bad enough not to fit in the shell holder.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good catch Toney. I knew there had to be a reason to not do the EASY way. So I guess I'll stop and start topping off the mag. Darn

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
I use a spare and load one round to chamber, then change to a full mag for carry. Or I just use my mag loader to top off the carry mag.

I don't want to risk damage to the extractor. Mag loaders save old crippled hands and fingers.

Just my 2 bits worth:getdown:

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I wouldn't like shooting as much as I do if I didn't have a Mag loader. Fingers are to tender to push the shells in.

Reactions: John70

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
A mag loader is essential for me. Loading mags without one sucks !

Reactions: John70

·
Registered
108 Posts
With the slide locked back, I put in a full magazine and release the slide lock. The slide goes forward loading a round in the chamber. I remove the magazine and top it off with another round. That's what I do. Why? Because I've always done it that way. Yep, my reason may be weak, but it's all I've got on which to lean.
That's the way I do it with my CM9.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts