Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the range to break in my CW 380. It was very disappointing. I expected it to have some trouble at first but my goodness... I don't think it made it through a single magazine with out one or more malfunctions. Failure to feed, failure to fire, slide won't lock back on an empty mag. It seems to come out of battery very easy and constantly needs to be nudged home. A good number of failures came on the first round loaded. The grip used didn't matter, the ammo type didn't matter and the magazine didn't seem to matter either.

What on earth is going wrong with this thing...? I want to like it (I did buy it) but right now it's as useless to me as a paper weight. Any suggestions to remedy this? Or should I get a G42?

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Several things to consider / try:
  • dry racking / actuating the slide several hundred plus times before its initial firing session works the springs & helps bed in friction surfaces...worth a try before your next range session
  • on the FTF's loading...did you slingshot the slide or use the slide release? On all Kahr's use the slide release per their owners manual...very little room for error to insure slide is pulled all the way back to insure proper feed if racking by hand
  • all pistols can be finicky with certain ammo (bullet shapes, manufacturers, etc.)...what ammo type(s) are you referring to?
  • call Kahr technical support if problems continue...

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I have the CT....same gun just a tad longer, taller. I had no issues with feeding ammo.
I agree with using slide release and not slingshoting. These guns are tight.

Yours might be a good candidate to send back to Kahr. They'll fix it.
I had to send my CW9 back 2 times.....but it has been flawless since.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Been a while since I was in last time. Have the CW 380 I sold to neighbor a while back. He died and his son said he wanted me to have the firearm back along with a few hundred rounds of Pwr"Ball ammo. It was only shot probably 100 times in the last couple of years. Cleaned and and lubed it, took it to the range today... the slide is still almost impossible to manually rack, (around 800 rds thru it and a trip back for Kahr to look at it....they replaced the ejector for some reason..????) but cycles 100% when shooting. Still accurate as all get up. Up in the air if I keep it...great little summer wearing a draw string shorts EDC here in Fl. Good to see some of the familiar names again.

·
Registered
143 Posts
After some investigating and talking to a person that installed the MCARBO spring kit in a CW380 I just ordered the kit. He said the trigger pull dropped to just over 4 pounds form 6 1/2 pounds and with some polishing the internals (which I have already done) smoothed the nice trigger to an even better one. Being a retired sailor...with 7 Westpac cruises and numerous times in PI, I have wasted more than $20 countless times, so I figured WTH, try it.

Just a footnote....I realize the trigger kit will not do anything for the hard slide racking....lol could see that it might seem like I was implying the kit would help the racking.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
After some investigating and talking to a person that installed the MCARBO spring kit in a CW380 I just ordered the kit. He said the trigger pull dropped to just over 4 pounds form 6 1/2 pounds and with some polishing the internals (which I have already done) smoothed the nice trigger to an even better one. Being a retired sailor...with 7 Westpac cruises and numerous times in PI, I have wasted more than $20 countless times, so I figured WTH, try it.

Just a footnote....I realize the trigger kit will not do anything for the hard slide racking....lol could see that it might seem like I was implying the kit would help the racking.
Good report...just use the slide release to chamber & not mess with the timing & insure reliable battery if for carry... :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Good report...just use the slide release to chamber & not mess with the timing & insure reliable battery if for carry... :)
Yep...no second thought on using the slide RELEASE. <<Something non Kahr firearm owners can not understand! Not really my true EDC firearm even when I owned it before I reacquired it.....Use to be my CM9 but went to a Glock 43x. Probably will be hot summer day with draw string shorts for a quick store run or maybe center console gun on car trips.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Yep...no second thought on using the slide RELEASE. <<Something non Kahr firearm owners can not understand! Not really my true EDC firearm even when I owned it before I reacquired it.....Use to be my CM9 but went to a Glock 43x. Probably will be hot summer day with draw string shorts for a quick store run or maybe center console gun on car trips.
The CM9 is my EDC usually in a pocket but there are a few situations where the smaller size of the CW380 would be perfect...have no problems with the caliber carrying a nickel Mauser HSc off-duty. I've primarily used the slide release & especially in timed qualifications - for me it's a faster procedure & in target acquisition...

·
Registered
143 Posts
I just received an installed the MCARBO spring kit for reducing the trigger pull weight. It does make a difference, but not the improvement that the kit made on my CM9.

·
Super Moderator
23,424 Posts
Great to hear she’s up to snuff now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: BillACP

·
Registered
1 Posts
What's the difference between a 380 and a 9MM?

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
The 9mm is 9x19 mm and the 380 is 9x17mm. Usually the bullet (lead) on the 9mm is 115 grains in weight up to 147. The 380 is usually 90 -100.
So the 380 is just a little smaller and not quiet as powerful.

Here is a pic. 380 on the left, and the 9 on the right.....this 9 just happens to be a hollow point. But you can see they are near the same size.

P.S. Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just had an alarming episode with my CW380 and wonder how often others have experienced this. My EDC was my 380 until the other day when I came home and tried to unload the chamber by racking the slide. The slide would not budge back except for only a few centimeters. Not enough to even line up the marks to pull out the pin. I took it to my LGS and the gun smith took it into the back and I guess hit it with a mallet to open the slide. He told me that this happens on occasion with all guns and if I had fired the gun it would have cycled correctly. I remembered that a couple of years ago the same thing happened with my CM9 while at the range. The range master helped out on that occasion by hitting the butt forcefully with the palm of his hand repeatedly until it came loose. That was the only time in the 4 years I've owned the CM9 that it has ever malfunctioned and I forgot about it. But I certainly can't say the same thing about the 380. It's the opposite. It only functions well with high quality hollows like Hornady & Federal. Since they are in short supply right now I took a chance and bought some Remington hollows which I had never tried before. I was hoping to shoot a mag and see how they cycled. That was the ammo in the gun when it jammed. Now I'm wondering if it was the Remi's, the gun or does this just happen to guns on occasion. I switched my EDC to the slightly heavier Diamond Back DB9 because I just don't trust my CW right now. Suffering through an occasional FTF every once in awhile is one thing. It can be fixed fast. But that slide jam was too much. Would love to hear if anyone else experienced this with their CW380 and were able to overcome it.

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
I never had trouble with remington ammo in my 9's or 380's......fmj or jhp. In fact- that's my carry ammo. I have had issues with Winchester in 380 and 9mm, Fiocchi in 380, Freedom Ammunition in 9 and 380 in several brand guns.
As far as my Kahr 380..... it is one STIFF booger- but it works good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I never had trouble with remington ammo in my 9's or 380's......fmj or jhp. In fact- that's my carry ammo. I have had issues with Winchester in 380 and 9mm, Fiocchi in 380, Freedom Ammunition in 9 and 380 in several brand guns.
As far as my Kahr 380..... it is one STIFF booger- but it works good.
Ok, that's good to know. I've also had problems with Fiocchi in 380. I'll try and shoot that mag of Remi. If it works I'll feel better about my CW. Thanks,

·
Super Moderator
23,424 Posts
Ok, that's good to know. I've also had problems with Fiocchi in 380. I'll try and shoot that mag of Remi. If it works I'll feel better about my CW. Thanks,
I too have had problems with fiocchi in a 380 in the past …. I think they have hard primers ….. I normally run Hornady CD in my Kahrs and never had any problems with it ….. stay away from Winchester and Geco as well …

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: BillACP
1 - 16 of 16 Posts