Kahr Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a relatively new P380. I have tried to run a variety of ammo thru it with always the same result. I have run about 300 rounds.

I'm sure this type of malfunction has a name or concise description. But since I know very little about pistols (I don't know all the terms and jargon), I will try to describe it as best I can.

I insert the full magazine. If I rack the slide manually, it works (it feeds the ammo perfectly). If the slide is racked back, and if I release the slide, it works (it feeds the ammo perfectly). Then I point at the target and pull the trigger. Discharges. Now here is the problem. Fifty percent of the time, the slide travels back, then travels forward, catching the next load. The slide travels forward, but not all the way forward. The slide fails to fully return to the forward position. It travels forward all the way except the final 1/8 or 1/4 inch. I tap the back of the slide with the heel of my hand, gently, and the slide easily moves forward and the pistol is ready to shoot again. If I shoot 50 rounds, then 25 of the shots will result in this malfunction. I don't have to hit it hard with the heel of my hand. I just need to tap it lightly.

I have had the pistol for about 9 months.

Any thoughts? Where might be the problem? Springs? Is the slide and the frame "too tight" (i.e. is there friction between the slide and frame that is causing this problem)? Is there a problem with the feed ramp ... does it need polishing?? Will Kahr be able to fix this for me and how much will it cost? Should I send it to "Cylinder & Slide Inc" for gun-smithing?

Thanks for your time.

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
Howdy!!! Did you clean and lube it good? Are you using a good grip? Do you know someone experienced with small pistols that could shoot it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's real clean and lubed up. I think my grip is fine. And everyone who shoots it has the same result.

More info:

When there is no round or snap cap, the slide moves forward smoothly even if the slide is pulled back half way and released. Smooth as silk. No catching. No problem.

But when you fill the magazine with snap caps, and try to chamber a snap cap, it is very easy to duplicate the problem, specifically the slide slides back into place but stops with about a 1/4 in or 1/8 in left to go.

Is this a feeding problem? Feeding ramp?

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts
If your feed ramp is smooth and or polished from the factory, it seems like a weak recoil spring...........

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
You need to really slingshot a kahr, kahr recommends using the slide stop.
all kahrs will hang up on the ramp if you ride the slide.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
I have heard of some kahrs not have the chamber reamed enough therefore leaving a ridge within the chamber. Not saying this is your problem but worth consideration. I wonder if pushing the slide forward several times might eventually relieve the problem(maybe a burr or something). Maybe post #4 is a serious consideration since you bought used? If no other choices I would call or send an email to Kahr for sure.
Good Luck

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
My 1911 had a similar problem, I swapped out the mags and it seemed to cure it. The mag springs must have been weak from the factory. I switched up to Colt and so far, no problems....JAT
:smile:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine and I fixed it by polishing the feed ramp and the chamber with jewelers rouge on a Dremel buffing wheel set at the slowest speed. I have not had a single problem since and I now have shot over 800 rounds in it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a relatively new P380. I have tried to run a variety of ammo thru it with always the same result. I have run about 300 rounds.

I'm sure this type of malfunction has a name or concise description. But since I know very little about pistols (I don't know all the terms and jargon), I will try to describe it as best I can.

I insert the full magazine. If I rack the slide manually, it works (it feeds the ammo perfectly). If the slide is racked back, and if I release the slide, it works (it feeds the ammo perfectly). Then I point at the target and pull the trigger. Discharges. Now here is the problem. Fifty percent of the time, the slide travels back, then travels forward, catching the next load. The slide travels forward, but not all the way forward. The slide fails to fully return to the forward position. It travels forward all the way except the final 1/8 or 1/4 inch. I tap the back of the slide with the heel of my hand, gently, and the slide easily moves forward and the pistol is ready to shoot again. If I shoot 50 rounds, then 25 of the shots will result in this malfunction. I don't have to hit it hard with the heel of my hand. I just need to tap it lightly.

I have had the pistol for about 9 months.

Any thoughts? Where might be the problem? Springs? Is the slide and the frame "too tight" (i.e. is there friction between the slide and frame that is causing this problem)? Is there a problem with the feed ramp ... does it need polishing?? Will Kahr be able to fix this for me and how much will it cost? Should I send it to "Cylinder & Slide Inc" for gun-smithing?

Thanks for your time.

I would check to see if the cartridge is hanging up on the extractor or breech face during the feed cycle. ---------------GeezerD

·
Registered
221 Posts
Try it one handed and see if there are any issues.....if it does it only two handed I believe it is your grip.....I have done this myself......

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
I would tend to agree with both GeezerD and mr380acp. Sometimes ya just gotta help the gun "break in", and then learn to work together.

Sometimes it is easier than other times. Don't stress, it will work out.

Reactions: mr380acp

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts
My Glock 42 is so finicky, it's real easy to f2f....I think that's why I trust my P380 more!!!!!
And the typical glock owner will always swear that the gun is uber reliable.......simply not true.......glocks have their share of issues also...... only when they do, glock offers an "upgrade" not a "fix", as they claim perfection.......also not true.......as you have found out.......they are good guns....just not as great as they would have everyone believe.....

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
My original G17 never missed a lick. Guess I should'a kept it. It would be collectible now. :sad:

·
Super Moderator
23,362 Posts
Don't get me wrong......glocks are great guns, I owned a g17 years ago and liked it........they are just not the best of the best or perfect as they suggest, and are not as trouble free as most think...

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
I had a g21 for a short time, it was neat but it wasn't a 1911.

I had planned on ordering a 3lb connector, but a Guy at the range let me shoot his race gun... creepy ....

Yep not a 1911

1 - 20 of 30 Posts