Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlefolk,

I was playing with a P45 that has been sitting idle for some time (… years…) and found that after I dropped the empty mag, it would not lock when re-inserted. If I pushed the off side of the mag release, that would usually allow the mag to lock. So something is glombed up.

My first thought is to strip and Ballistol the snot out of the mag mechanism, but am I overlooking at another approach that would be better?

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
I have had a similar issue with my CT380. I have to really put some pressure on bottom of mag to get it to lock- loaded or empty. I have not investigated it yet, as I can get it to lock. What I suspect? the problem is - the locking slot that is cut into the mag may should have been cut a fraction of an inch higher.
Surely most all mags are may not that way- but possibly a few got through that are slightly problematic.

Now that this has been brought up- I'm gonna pull mine out and look at it

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx, this is the original mag, but as it happens, I have another P45 I can test the mag with.

I will tear into this over the weekend, saw a YouTube on replacing the mag release button and that looks easy enough…. Assuming all Kahrs operate the same way.

And Im not discounting the benefits of just flooding the area with Ballistol and seeing if there is some crud that needs to be flushed out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Finally stripped my P45 to look into the mag-locking issue. Trying a different P45 mag made no difference.

What I did find was that both mags locked and released properly with the slide off the frame. Put the slide ON the frame, and the mags failed to lock.

So I have submitted an RMA With Kahr and will let them sort it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts