Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been wanting to do this for a while and finally decided there was no reason to not. I was concerned about corrosion with finish removed but decided I clean it enough to not worry. I have a buffing station (typical grinder with buffing wheel & compound) I use to sharpen my knives so it took me no more 3-4 minutes.

Automotive exterior Automotive design Motor vehicle Bumper Auto part Bumper Automotive design Automotive exterior Carbon Audio equipment

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did you do the entire barrel or just the part that shows in the breech? I polished the barrel and feedramp on a Ruger SR9C using a Dremel and Flitz metal polish. I have been thinking about doing my CM 9 also.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
You do good work bob...... :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you gentlemen. Yes I polished the complete barrel. As I said it really fast and as good or better than using a dremel. I dremel would have taken much longer but not any better. It looks a heck of lot better than with whatever finish that was on it. Of Course functionality should rule over looks but if there is no difference then what the hey.....right? The compound I used was the typical white you find in any tool store. I use it on my knives and over the years no corrosion appears.
Go for it Watch Collector. Makes a better looking piece to me.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thank you gentlemen. Yes I polished the complete barrel. As I said it really fast and as good or better than using a dremel. I dremel would have taken much longer but not any better. It looks a heck of lot better than with whatever finish that was on it. Of Course functionality should rule over looks but if there is no difference then what the hey.....right? The compound I used was the typical white you find in any tool store. I use it on my knives and over the years no corrosion appears.
Go for it Watch Collector. Makes a better looking piece to me.
sounds like a plan. I'll let you know how it comes out. I clamped my SR9C barrel in a wood vice when I used the Dremel and took my time. Took about 15 minutes even though the polishing speed is a lot higher than bench grinder. Can't post pics as I traded it in for the CM9.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Just curious, what did you think of the sr9c. How did it compare to the cm9 ?

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
W.C. I understand the Dremel comment and migh mention I have a Foredom also. The Bench grinder is 3450 rpm so yes is slower but I did mine by hand and I could really put pressure on the barrel to buffer and polish quickly. I'm used to doing that is why I didn't hesitate and it worked. Either way though it will work as you already know. I sure like the look better.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Just curious, what did you think of the sr9c. How did it compare to the cm9 ?
The SR9C had some issues when I first got it. Light strikes, like 6-8 out of 50. Talked to Ruger and we thought it might be a weak spring in the 10 round mag so I got a new one from them and still has issues. Sent it back and they installed a new striker, striker spring and a trigger part. Worked great after that. I usually carry a Sig 1911 Ultra but was looking for a smaller one when the occasion when a big gun would not work.

Comparing the 2 is like nite & day. The Ruger is smooth to fire and the CM9 kicks more and has only 6+1. The Ruger had a 17 round mag whci I never used because the ranges I shoot at allow 6 rounds max. The quality is about equal. Ruger service is great and hopefully I won't need to use Kahr's CS.

·
Registered
108 Posts
W.C. I understand the Dremel comment and migh mention I have a Foredom also. The Bench grinder is 3450 rpm so yes is slower but I did mine by hand and I could really put pressure on the barrel to buffer and polish quickly. I'm used to doing that is why I didn't hesitate and it worked. Either way though it will work as you already know. I sure like the look better.
I used the dremel and vice as I was afraid the barrel would slip out of my hand using the bench grinder. I guess your experience polishing knives helped out a lot.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could be, but it was easy. The way you did it would be a more careful approach and after all it only took 15 min. Better to be safer than sorry.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts