Kahr Handgun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, got a chance to launch 214 rounds down the lane. Had 3 failure to fires, about 6ish failure to feeds. Before you read any further, I must admit I intentionally used some of the dirtiest rounds Ive come across to break in the pistol. I used the same rounds I used to break in my LCP just to see if If the rounds were the issue or the LCP was the issue. I glad to report it was the rounds. Here are the breakdown of rounds used:

150 Magtech 95gr lead round nose
These bullets left the barrel and slide very fouled after the first few magazines out the first box. When breaking in the LCP, I had several failure to fires using this ammo, and after shooting just a few there were numerous lead shavings in both the LCP and p380. This ammo totally coated the p380 with residue on the feed ramp after the first 2 mags. I didnt experience any failures until about the 4th magazine in. As far as failure to feeds go, it seems as if the slide only needed to travel 1-2 mm more back to cycle the next round, as when i finished the slide motion backward manually it fed the next round easily, which makes me think the fouling and lead residue was the cause. As far as failures to fire, I did notice a large different in primer strikes of the ones that fired compared to those that did not. Is it possible that some seated farther into the barrel? The ones that did not fire in the LCP also had light strikes. In all cases the bullets fire on a second strike.

50 American Eagle FMJ
1-2 feeding issues, no failure to fire.
At this point the gun was filthy, so no surprise.

14 remington golden sabres 102gr
No failure to fire, but one did jam with the nose of the bullet stopping on the feedramp, which again was filthy. At this point I stopped, and will continue the next range visit with golden sabres in a clean gun, which Im sure will give me no problems.



Now that the gun is broken in, I will use only FMJs the next time I go to the range, and am sure there will be wont be issues since i wont be using any lead nosed bullets. Will post more results later this week.

Btw no smilies, but with lead nosed bullets, there is a small spot on the underside of the bullet smoothed out from contact with the feedramp I think.

Oh yeah, firing the gun is pure joy! easy to shoot, accurate and fun!

I edited the sentence above, I meant to say "wont be"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
did u clean and lube the gun before going out , or just take it ouf of the box and shoot it??

You ought to be able to shoot 200+ rounds without any cleaning if the gun is lubed right..

sound slike your good to go. Personally I would never break in a gun with HP defense ammo until it was runing perfect with fmj ammo. break it in with the cheapest priced ammo in fmj first then go to ur defense round for through testing for reliability..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only SD ammo was the 14 Sabres at the end, and no I didnt clean it. I just did the same as I did with the PM9 and PM40, as all of them had copious amounts of lube on the barrel, rails and guide rod. Both of the other guns were flawless, but I attribute that to using FMJs. I honestly think if I used FMJ rounds as opposed to the lead round nosed ones I wouldnt have had any issues, just my opinion of course.
 
G

·
very fine report, TkFF, thank you for the detail. Fine picture too.

I'm not surprised at the problems with the MagTec LRN ammo. I wasn't aware that they even made LRN ammo since all I've ever found was jacketed. I wonder if this was some old ammo from days before they started making FMJ and JHP. All of the MagTec I've had fired fine with the exception of large setback from smileys in the Ruger LCP.

Since the P380 continued to fire fouled as bad as you describe, that is another plus for the pistol. I bet it would fire if had been in mud!! :eek:

Hope after you give it a good cleaning you'll post some more reports.

One more question....where did you find the pistol?? My dealer still can't find one with any of his 3 distributors.

og....who is getting jealous and don't have my P380 yet!! ::)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oldgrandpa,

I found it from an online gun dealer called Discount Gun sales from Seattle, Wa. I live in orlando, and just happened to type "Kahr p380 in stock" in a google search and they were listed. It showed they had 1 unit in stock, so I placed the online order right away, and they shipped it that day, awesome service I must admit.

Thanks!
TkFF
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
ol grandpa. This will make u sicker. I bought my P380 on line from a fella that just bought it and decided he wanted a sig worst, so he mentioned it on the glock talk/kahr forum. I immediately got ahold of him and bought it. never been happier.

Today he writes me and said he walked into the dealer where he bought his first P380 to order his sig and low and behold sitting in the case was ANOTHER P380. he bought it and passed on the sig, as he told me he knew he had made a mistake when he sold his to me. Can u believe that stuff. Two in a row to the same fella.

I did advise him that is he decided to sell this one also to get ahold of me and I would either buy it or get him a buyer within 30 minutes.

Some people have all the luck.

Agree I never knew magtech made LRN any more. I would stay away from lead ammo anyway, as polygonal rifled barrels must be throughtly cleaned if your gonna shoot lead bullets.oops I stand corrected. I see gunbroker has two boxes for magtech lrn for sale that right now are going for $105 for both boxes. unbelievable..
 
G

·
TkFF said:
Only SD ammo was the 14 Sabres at the end, and no I didnt clean it. I just did the same as I did with the PM9 and PM40, as all of them had copious amounts of lube on the barrel, rails and guide rod. Both of the other guns were flawless, but I attribute that to using FMJs. I honestly think if I used FMJ rounds as opposed to the lead round nosed ones I wouldnt have had any issues, just my opinion of course.
Every new weapon particularly ultra small .380's should be cleaned and well oiled or lubed before they are first fired. This includes the Kahr P380. The P380 is NOT a PM9, the slide does not have the inertia the PM9 slide has to break through accumulated dirt and crud. Tolerances are tight and parts have yet to be smoothed out. But shooting the P380 dry right out of the box, you are not doing your new gun any favors. Oil and lube with facilitate "break-in."

Secondly, with a brand new gun, you don't know its limits so it's adviseable for the first hundred rounds or so, to use the best qualilty ammo possible. This will reduce the chance of a disappointing first outing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
TkFF said:
oldgrandpa,

I found it from an online gun dealer called Discount Gun sales from Seattle, Wa. I live in orlando, and just happened to type "Kahr p380 in stock" in a google search and they were listed. It showed they had 1 unit in stock, so I placed the online order right away, and they shipped it that day, awesome service I must admit.

Thanks!
TkFF
unless ur an ffl dealer, how could they have shipped it that very day????????
 
G

·
I meant to mention also that more than a few us, in addition to giving the gun a good cleaning and lubrication before first heading to the range, also polish the barrrel feedramp and throat as well as smooth down the top of the frame and rails with either 600 or 800 wet/dry paper, that or with a 3M buffing pad to remove any superficial burrs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jocko said:
TkFF said:
oldgrandpa,

I found it from an online gun dealer called Discount Gun sales from Seattle, Wa. I live in orlando, and just happened to type "Kahr p380 in stock" in a google search and they were listed. It showed they had 1 unit in stock, so I placed the online order right away, and they shipped it that day, awesome service I must admit.

Thanks!
TkFF
unless ur an ffl dealer, how could they have shipped it that very day????????
1)Purchased and paid for via CC on the web
2)Had my FFL fax them Info
3)Received shipping info and Invoice/Receipt later in the afternoon
4) Checked USPS tracking in the evening, showed it was sent that day

Is it abnormal for any gun dealer to ship the day of purchase? I've bought from classic arms many times before this current rush, and they have shipped the day of as long as orders were placed before lunch.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
These gun companies normally don't lube these gun up properly. My p380 was bone stock dry, period not a drop of lube anywhere. Now to take it out of the box and shoot it that way, to me is plum STUPID. I would have proved nothing and certainly a properly lubed gun using the kahr lube chart on this forum will produce better and faster break in results. Not to say it will not work out of the box but again WHY DO IT??

Maybe thats why all my guns worked perfect out of the box. I ASSUMED NOTHING..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
jocko said:
These gun companies normally don't lube these gun up properly. My p380 was bone stock dry, period not a drop of lube anywhere. Now to take it out of the box and shoot it that way, to me is plum STUPID. I would have proved nothing and certainly a properly lubed gun using the kahr lube chart on this forum will produce better and faster break in results. Not to say it will not work out of the box but again WHY DO IT??

Maybe thats why all my guns worked perfect out of the box. I ASSUMED NOTHING..
Mine was not bone dry out of the box. It had copious amounts of lube on it. I assumed nothing either. I took the time to break it in with 300+ rounds until I felt comfortable. NOT breaking it in and carrying it without firing it would be assuming it worked out of the box. I have read many of your posts Jocko, and held you in high regard, but saying my actions are "plum STUPID" is very much saying it about me, and I do not appreciate it, but to each their own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
reread my post. I stated to take a dry gun out of the box and shoot it was pure stupid. U stated urs was dripping in lube, so there fore that shoud not have included you. To take it other than that is ur fault not mine. I stated what my P380 was when I took it out of the box. If ur offended by it, sorry, it was not meant for u towards u.

I stand by what I stated, YMMV...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
TkFF said:
jocko said:
TkFF said:
oldgrandpa,

I found it from an online gun dealer called Discount Gun sales from Seattle, Wa. I live in orlando, and just happened to type "Kahr p380 in stock" in a google search and they were listed. It showed they had 1 unit in stock, so I placed the online order right away, and they shipped it that day, awesome service I must admit.

Thanks!
TkFF
unless ur an ffl dealer, how could they have shipped it that very day????????
1)Purchased and paid for via CC on the web
2)Had my FFL fax them Info
3)Received shipping info and Invoice/Receipt later in the afternoon
4) Checked USPS tracking in the evening, showed it was sent that day

Is it abnormal for any gun dealer to ship the day of purchase? I've bought from classic arms many times before this current rush, and they have shipped the day of as long as orders were placed before lunch.
I just ask,, u just answered, u did everything right, just was wondering how things transpried as fast as they did no harm no foul IMO..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jocko,
Did reread, my misunderstanding, please accept my apology=) Anyhow, gun is ready for use. Also, be warned all who find LRN, as I believe they are responsible for the poor behavior of both my LCP and p380.

Tk
 
G

·
It's all good gentlemen, not to worry. For some reason tk, I thought you test fired it dry and that is NOT a good idea with any gun especially these little pocket .380s. Enjoy that gun :). But I stand-by my recommendation to start with the best possible ammo as you don't know what to expect on the first run. With good ammo, at least you've ruled out one possible variable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
TkFF said:
Jocko,
Did reread, my misunderstanding, please accept my apology=) Anyhow, gun is ready for use. Also, be warned all who find LRN, as I believe they are responsible for the poor behavior of both my LCP and p380.

Tk
hay, no harm no foul, I totally agree shooting lead nose bullets should be avoided , especially in polygonal rifled barrels. Now I know some reloader shoot lead for cost purposes and if the polygonal rifled barrels are scrubbed good and more often than not, you should hav eno issues. I really didn't know they made lRN for sale in commercial ammo, with all this enviorment crap going around, course I am not sure if mag tech is american made either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After firing all the FMJs today, the feedramp looked no where near as fouled as after firing 1 box of the LRN. Today I could still see some shine on the feed ramp, whereas with the LRN it just had a dull grey residue on it. Also in cleaning the gun today, it was no where near as dirty. Having cleaned many weapons over the years, the LRNs left my gun the dirtiest I have ever seen in any of my hand guns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
I use a bore snake alot on these guns, feed through the magazine well, it not only cleans the bore but also the feed ramp. Normally the gun itself internally will tsay clean for hundreds of rounds and the snake just speeds up stuff for me. a drop of oil on the top of the barrel after that and a half dozen dry racks of the sldie and I put it away or load it up with defense ammo. If I shoot 250 rounds or more I will clean it,for I do carry it some and I want a basicallay clean gun but I do feel up to that round count our close to it anyhow, that the P380 will function perfectly

I have shot well over 500 rounds thrugh my PM9 many times and never touched it and basically other than size they are identical. Most of our Amiercan made ammo is very clean also..

smoke um it u got um.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Top