Kahr Handgun Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shot 100 rounds yesterday. Went to clean the gun and noticed that the side panel (on the front edge) was "untucked" from the frame.
Don't know when or why this occurred. I am concerned about 2 things:

1) Fixing it. Do I need a gunsmith or is it as simple as backing off the side panel screw enough to "retuck" the panel then re tighten? What size / type screwdriver is required? The gun is still under warranty. Should I contact Kahr?

2) What causes this to happen? Has anyone else encountered this
problem?

Thanks for your comments
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
Joistman said:
Shot 100 rounds yesterday. Went to clean the gun and noticed that the side panel (on the front edge) was "untucked" from the frame.
Don't know when or why this occurred. I am concerned about 2 things:

1) Fixing it. Do I need a gunsmith or is it as simple as backing off the side panel screw enough to "retuck" the panel then re tighten? What size / type screwdriver is required? The gun is still under warranty. Should I contact Kahr?

2) What causes this to happen? Has anyone else encountered this
problem?


it takes a size 5 torx,u can buy just that size at sears in the tool dept. I would call kahr and have them send you a new side panel. they will do that. chances are if you put that original panel back in place it will pop out again. I have been told they have made that little lip bigger so as to what happened to yours doesn't happen again.


Thanks for your comments
 
G

·
This happened to me very early on. The corner of the side plate (that's what it is called) came out of alignment - maybe a 1 or 2 mm. corner section (top right). I simply pressed it back in place with my finger. If you can do the same I would try that before you attempt to install a new plate. In my case, the side plate never came out of alignment again. Just to be on the safe side, I did ask for and receive 2 new side plates from Kahr. Since I never removed my original side plate I couldn't precisely measure/compare the lips but the exterior specs of the old vs. the new plates looked the same.

I am a firm believer in trying the most the non-invasive approach first before I progress to the next step. Reason being, the screw that keeps the plate in place does not go into a threaded metal insert. It's plastic. Over torx the screw or by take the plate on and off too often and you could strip it, and that would require a trip back to the factory. So be careful if you decide to replace the plate on your own. Don't over torx, that's the main thing. If it were me, I'd see if I could realign the plate by hand (get it back into its groove with your finger) test fire and see how it holds.

By the way what ammo were you shooting? According to Kahr what you experienced can result both from shooting hot ammo (so-called +P) as well as underpowered .380 reloads. Then again, for all I know, my plate could have been slightly out of alignment when I bought it. 'Just never noticed it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was shooting Mag Tech 95 GR FMJ - Standard Ammo. It is the full front edge which has become "untucked". I have tried but I cannot physically "snap" or slide the plate back in. I called Kahr.
They want me to send the gun back Next Day UPS or Next Day Fedex (on my dime). They will take care of the rest. Said they wanted to
examine the pistol, replace the plate and test fire. Is this SOP?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
Joistman said:
I was shooting Mag Tech 95 GR FMJ - Standard Ammo. It is the full front edge which has become "untucked". I have tried but I cannot physically "snap" or slide the plate back in. I called Kahr.
They want me to send the gun back Next Day UPS or Next Day Fedex (on my dime). They will take care of the rest. Said they wanted to
examine the pistol, replace the plate and test fire. Is this SOP?
no it is not, they should pay to have it picked up. replacing the side panel has been SOP . You should not be out a dime over this..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
this may not be the same flap but on the Kahr Q&A sight they say
http://www.kahr.com/OR-4.html#q1

Q. Why does the panel on the side of the grip of my Kahr polymer pistol sometimes "pop open"?

A. When a firearm is discharged, there is equal pressure on both sides of the ammunition, and the cartridge will seek the path of least resistance, which is forward. However, if the rim of the cartridge is cracked, the primer pinched, or any similar damage, pressure builds up and the path of least resistance is backwards causing the grip mount to pop. It is provided as a safety mechanism to prevent bodily injury.
 
G

·
erice303 said:
this may not be the same flap but on the Kahr Q&A sight they say
http://www.kahr.com/OR-4.html#q1

Q. Why does the panel on the side of the grip of my Kahr polymer pistol sometimes "pop open"?

A. When a firearm is discharged, there is equal pressure on both sides of the ammunition, and the cartridge will seek the path of least resistance, which is forward. However, if the rim of the cartridge is cracked, the primer pinched, or any similar damage, pressure builds up and the path of least resistance is backwards causing the grip mount to pop. It is provided as a safety mechanism to prevent bodily injury.
Under normal conditions, i.e., using standard pressure factory ammo, the side plate should not pop out. Removal of the side plate allows access to key parts and I suspect that had more of a bearing on its design than a concern for pressure builds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
371 Posts
kraigster is right. More than likely u just got a bad side panel..... That side panel IMO is only there so that kahr =can get inside to put the cocking cam parts and the trigger bar in. No other reason for it..The steel versions are skelotonized due to their guns having screw on grips, but it works exactly the same way. No doubt if you got a k-boom that side panel would probably pop open but also IMO if you get a k-boom the gun is shot and busted up anyhow so makes no big deal.

Either send it back on their nickel or get a new side panel and a #5 torx tool and install it yourself and then proceed to shoot it like you stole it.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top