Kahr Handgun Forum banner

Stupid Mistake - Slide locked halfway on pistol - CW-380

10K views 39 replies 6 participants last post by  Excelwell 
#1 ·
I have been having a problem with my slide not locking back with an empty magazine on my CW-380. Following a recommendation on the forum, I removed the slide and inserted the slide lock to check if the slide lock was moving up when an empty magazine is inserted (it did). Then without thinking I started to reinstall the slide with the slide lock still inserted. The slide is now locked partially on. It won't come back off no matter what I do . The slide lock is retained by the slide and cannot be removed.

Extra poor timing on this as it's Christmas weekend, so I can't talk to the factory until Wednesday or maybe January!

Anyone with any experience with this?

I feel naked without my pistol!!!

#29 ·
Good find Lefty, thank you. If you read it closely Post #32 actually contains three ways to free the slide, or more accurately three ways to accomplish getting the cocking cam to descend, in order to free the slide. I copied the pictures and text just in case I forget all this (in a week or two), and find myself in the same situation.

Oh, and thank you too topgun for taking the time to also find one of the ways that will work!

#32 ·
Ok, just got off the phone with a gunsmith at Kahr. The group basically got it. slip a paper clip with the tip bent 90 degrees about 1/8" or dental tool under the right rear of the slide and rotate the cocking cam rearward! It's the silver "bar" opposite the ejector in my photo. Apparently the trigger is disconnected from it when the slide is in that particular position with the slide stop inserted.

Finger Trigger Thumb Engineering Nail

Gesture Bumper Office equipment Office supplies Vehicle door

Thanks to everyone for your help. I hope this will stop people from damaging their pistols!!!

Got my baby back in my pocket. I'm a happy guy.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.

#33 ·
Ok, just got off the phone with a gunsmith at Kahr. The group basically got it. slip a paper clip with the tip bent 90 degrees about 1/8" or dental tool under the right rear of the slide and rotate the cocking cam rearward! It's the silver "bar" opposite the ejector in my photo. Apparently the trigger is disconnected from it when the slide is in that particular position with the slide stop inserted.

View attachment 16386

View attachment 16384

Thanks to everyone for your help. I hope this will stop people from damaging their pistols!!!

Got my baby back in my pocket. I'm a happy guy.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all.
I locked my slide up doing same thing. I can't get paper clip to release it

#35 ·
Yeah, I emailed customer service and he's going to check with the repair department on what it's going to cost me. I swear these Kahr pistols are a more pain in the ass than they are worth. I have Beretta and Walther semis and they shoot right out of the box. I can't believe Kahr even makes a pistol that you could jam up the slide to where it's damn near impossible to get it back off.

#40 ·
I emailed Kahr support after using the paper clip to pull the cocking cam rearward to release the slide and he told me that you can take off the plate on the right side of the gun and use a flat-tip screwdriver to flip the cam back. Which would have been a lot easier. So if anyone else runs into this same issue that is how to fix it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.