Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an MK40 & a K40 a love these power houses. I used to regularly carry a Sig P239 .357/.40 and since I picked up the K40, it's replaced the Sig. Smaller and eaiser to carry. Does everyone only own 9mm's?

The Glock 27 is smaller and chunky and super popular. I don't understand why there are not more interest in the .40

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
The first new carry gun I bought just before I got my permit was a 40, sold it and upgraded to a m&p 40c.

I always wanted the pm40, but that's a lot of money! !! Heck when I first started packing I wouldn't take a $400 pistol outside if it looked like it might sprinkle. So I bought a cheap pf9 to carry to keep my other pistol safe clean and dry.

The pf9 is evil!! I've been guthooked on micro 9s ever since.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Yeah a sub / compact nine is hard to not like carrying. Easy to conceal and light weight, don't have to go without it almost all of the time. And doesn't require a big change in how you dress.

Reactions: John70

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I guess to each is own, and it could be that I am only considering the all steel models. Plastic framed models could be a bit harsh to control.

I like high capacity 9mm's like my Sig P226 or my new Baby Desert Eagle, but I've got (with Mecgars), 18 rounds + 1 to throw. As a self defense carry, I've been used to carrying a compact 1911 in .45 and my Sig P239 in .40. If you follow the rules, the manual tells you to restrict to standard pressure because of the polygonal barrel, and the 147 grain 9mm has proved to be less than what LE and the military was hoping for. The best option is the 124-135 grain 9mm. OK, but a 180 grain Gold Dot develops a "flower" that is simply amazing.

I'm not trying to start a fight over caliber fitness, because I find the .40's cost less because everyone wants the 9mm's. Ammo is more easily available in my area and I like the results the .40S&W produces.

Going back to my original post, in the Glock World, the sub .40's are extremely popular. I was just wondering why the same was not true in regards to Kahr.

In any event, I love my K40 so much that I thinking about a T40 for my next Kahr.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
I do agree the all steel models will tame the 40 better than a poly frame. I prefer a steel frame gun myself. The only poly frames I like or will own are, S&W, Springfield xd models, HK, and kahr of course. As you get older and have achey backs and hips, the weight becomes a factor as well as size................

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
It's a smith.........and one of the better designed ones. One school of thought is that some of the poly guns are easy shooting because the plastic frame flexing and absorbing some of the recoil. And my xds is easy shooting for a compact 9mm, as easy as my mk9. So I can see where a well designed poly can shoot as easy as a metal frame. I guess it's also one of the reasons that I really like the ones listed in my previous post. They are well designed good shooting guns.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have read that the 40 is not as popular any more and 9 has taken it over. I've looked at a 40 but then I would have to stock another size of ammo. I think 5 is enough (30.06, 32 Win Spl, 9, 45 & 22LR). I do see a lot of 40's for sale on the used market.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
The 40 is definitely a snappier round than a 9mm. I'm guessing that a lot of new inexperienced shooters buy sub / compact 40s, and then find them a handful to shoot. They then pass them on for something else ??

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
From what I know the kahr CW40 and 45 are the size aren't they?

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
From what I know the kahr CW40 and 45 are the size aren't they?
They are not, the 45 is slightly larger. Sometimes a 45 will squeeze into a 40 holster.

As far as caliber I love my CW40, I have shot a bunch of critters with it(tree rats, nutria, ect.) It is my primary concealed carry pistol.

I would also like to have a CW45, I have shot a lot of 45rds over the years and like it a lot. also Kahr did not make a 45 when I bought the 40.

9mm vs .40SW? I would rather carry the 40 or 45 for defense. However I did buy a Ruger SR9c (cause i gots alota 9mm ammo) and I sometimes carry it!

Just my opinion, for what it's worth:lolu:

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Kinda surprised they are different sizes. You would think similar cal. it would be economical to combine the two. I wish I had lots of 9mm ammo.

·
Registered
509 Posts
2013 is the year I bought into the .40 S&W Calibre. I traded for a K40 Covert early in the year and bought a G23gen4 later in the summer. I have yet to CC this round because I normally carry the 9mm during warmer months and the .45acp during colder months. Maybe 2014 will be the year I carry the mighty .40 S&W.

·
Premium Member
8,021 Posts
Your carry pattern is the same as I intend.
Question, why would you CC the 40 over the 45?

·
Premium Member
8,218 Posts
Kinda surprised they are different sizes. You would think similar cal. it would be economical to combine the two. I wish I had lots of 9mm ammo.
They made the 40 to fit in 9mm pistols, the 45 has got to be bigger.

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Yes I have read that. And have also read that some 40's have issues because the high pressure cart in basically 9mm frame.......dont know much about that though. .....you think its true Toney...

·
Super Moderator
23,409 Posts
Good video.............so he kinda confirms what I read. It would seem to make sense......

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went from a PM9 to a PM40 a couple of years ago mainly because 40 was more available and cheaper than 9mm. The 40 is definitely more snappy but if you really need it I doubt your going to be worried about recoil.

Jim

1 - 20 of 57 Posts