Kahr Handgun Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rather than drag up the old thread, it was suggested I start a new one. So ... where do you buy the flat nose (truncated) FMJ bullets mentioned awhile back. I assume the same bullets used in the WWB .380.

I can't find them anywhere, and I think they are way cool compared to the boring round nose. Hey, looks count when reloading, right??

Also use 95 grain cast with True Blue powder ... some feeding problems however.

BTW, don't have a P380, but on my list, so I guess I sorta belong here.

Thanks ...

John

·
Registered
371 Posts
Patch44 said:
Rather than drag up the old thread, it was suggested I start a new one. So ... where do you buy the flat nose (truncated) FMJ bullets mentioned awhile back. I assume the same bullets used in the WWB .380.

I can't find them anywhere, and I think they are way cool compared to the boring round nose. Hey, looks count when reloading, right??

Also use 95 grain cast with True Blue powder ... some feeding problems however.

BTW, don't have a P380, but on my list, so I guess I sorta belong here.

Thanks ...

John
Maybe just me but I tried to stay away from those trundcated bullets other than range fodder and cheap to buy at that particular time. Just looks like a jam waiting to happen. For range, I could care less but I would never carry a round like that. YMMV

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello there Jocko ... have not talked to you in awhile. You were a big help over at the LCP forum to me at times.

I have been using WWB for a while in both .380 and 9mm with no problems. Just plinking and tree hunting (shooting trees behind my house). They feed better than my MoBuCo lead round nose in LCP ... or did, sold both LCP's. Now have a Bersa .380 (don't laugh, this is a very nice little gun for $270) and they feed fine also.

Just curious where to find them. I have not searched in awhile, maybe I can dig them up.

Thanks once again ...

John

Edit: I should have stated I assume they are the same bullets used in the WWB ammo.

·
Registered
371 Posts
the wwb 9mm that I buy at wal mart is all fmj round nose. I have never seen any truncated wwb ammo at wal mart, other than their 147 grain wwb, that I bought some about 4 months ago to shoot in my 9mm kahr and it shot perfect also.

I just don't like the looks of the round but would not hesitate to shoot it for range fodder if the price was indeed right. If I get a jam or something with it at the range,it would not bother me, fully knowing that I don't use that for carry anyways.

I have never had any 380 trunucated rounds to buy around here, so my statement is not one of reliability, just of personal preference. I am sure they are problaby OK rounds or winchester would not be making them.

yup patch, sure do remember youk, welcome aboard, this is one super forum.

course with kraigster behind it, how could it be other wise ??? ???

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually I was hoping Kraigster would jump in here, it was his post that got me curious about the Winchester flat nose FMJ bullets.

Maybe I just should have resurrected that old thread, or maybe I just completely misunderstood his post.

John

·
Registered
371 Posts
Patch44 said:
Actually I was hoping Kraigster would jump in here, it was his post that got me curious about the Winchester flat nose FMJ bullets.

Maybe I just should have resurrected that old thread, or maybe I just completely misunderstood his post.

John
actually kraignster is to old to "jump" into anything. ;D

G

·
What's the question? :)

They work fine but OAL is critical. Not a lot of margin for error in terms of seating depth and not all guns will eat or magazines seat. They are a no-go in my Keltec P3AT but fine in my P380. You've got to seat them deep with just the slightest amount of crimp groove exposed. Start with a very low powder charge and work you're way up. In my experience, WW231 is THE very best powder for reloading .380 regardless of bullet, lead, plated or jacketed. It's all I use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just wondering where you found the Winchester bullets.

Sorry for the confusion, but could not find them anywhere ...

I assume the same bullets used in the WWB .380 loads.

Thanks for the response ...

John

G

·
Patch44 said:
I was just wondering where you found the Winchester bullets.

Sorry for the confusion, but could not find them anywhere ...

I assume the same bullets used in the WWB .380 loads.

Thanks for the response ...

John
John, they were purchased from Cheyenne Brass (online) quite some time ago. They were on special at the time. Not sure what the status is now.

NO, not the same bullet as the WW White Box. I guess I am confused as they are best described as a hollow core, flat nose semi-jacketed (lead exposed tip) with a crimp groove - the official description is a 95 grain JHC (jacketed hollow core) bullet.

I just checked Cheyenne Brass' website and they no longer stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My mistake ... thought they were the FMJ truncated nose bullets used in the WWB ammo. i have looked everywhere for those.

Just think these are a good alternative to the lead round nose out there ... just think they are cool semi wad cutter type bullets.

Thanks for the info ...

John

G

·
John, for range practice all I reload now are hard cast round nose for .380. I see no benefit to truncated jacketed vs. round nose jacketed other than the truncated gives you a slightly more defined target hole. And that's assuming you object to the less expensive hard cast lead offerings due to your range's prohibition against shooting lead bullets or your personal concern over long-term lead exposure. I don't think any of us are shooting our .380 guns that much to be concerned but your call and my range has good ventilation. Hard cast lead works for me especially since reloading components have gone through the roof.

I should also add that I would never use reloads for carry (if that's what you are considering), not because they wouldn't perform (mine anyway) but they could be used against you by a savvy attorney. Why look for trouble. Stick to factory ammo, one less thing to worry about.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts